Chiropractic Techniques & Treatments in Marietta, GA
If you’re looking for a non-invasive, complementary treatment for your orthopedic issue that doesn’t require surgery and drugs, chiropractic treatment might be an ideal solution. Chiropractic treatment focuses on the diagnosis and care of spinal injuries and disorders to relieve pain, improve spinal movement and better your day-to-day life.
Common Techniques in Chiropractic Treatment
Spinal manipulation, also known as adjustment, involves applying controlled, sudden force to a specific joint in the spine to correct structural misalignments that cause pain, nerve irritation and limit range of motion. This technique helps restore the spine’s proper alignment, promoting the body's natural healing abilities and improving nervous system function.
Manual therapy encompasses a range of hands-on techniques that address soft tissue problems and joint dysfunction – including myofascial release, massage and stretching exercises – reducing muscle tension, improving flexibility and enhancing blood circulation.
This chiropractic therapy involves gently separating the spinal vertebrae to relieve pressure on compressed nerves or discs.
Chiropractic Treatment Benefits
Pain Relief: Chiropractic treatment can help patients address the root of their pain – whether it’s chronic or acute – and alleviate it without the use of surgery or painkillers. Its non-invasive nature makes it a popular orthopedic treatment option.
Improved Range of Motion: Restricted joint movement can hinder one’s ability to move freely. Chiropractic adjustments restore proper joint function, improve motion and enhance flexibility.
Enhanced Nervous System Function: Because the spine is home to the nervous system, correcting spinal misalignments can optimize communication between the brain and the body.
Non-Invasive Approach: Since the treatment is non-invasive and drug-free, it’s a safe therapeutic alternative or addition for patients experiencing orthopedic problems.
Risks of Chiropractic Treatment
Although complications from spinal adjustments are rare, aggressive manipulation has the potential to cause spinal or nerve damage. The temporary soreness or headaches some patients experience after an adjustment are a normal part of the body’s natural healing response.
Individuals with certain pre-existing medical conditions, such as osteoporosis, spinal cord compression, inflammatory arthritis or cancer, should also talk with their other specialists before undergoing treatment to confirm chiropractic care is safe in their condition.
Stretches You Can Do to Maximize the Effectiveness of Your Chiropractic Treatment
- Start on your hands and knees in a tabletop position.
- Inhale as you arch your back, lifting your head and tailbone (Cow Pose).
- Exhale as you round your spine, tucking in your chin and tailbone (Cat Pose).
- Repeat this flowing movement 10 to 15 times, focusing on mobilizing and stretching the spine.
- Kneel on the floor with your big toes touching and knees apart.
- Sit back on your heels and extend your arms forward, lowering your chest toward the floor.
- Hold the stretch for 30 seconds to one minute, breathing deeply to relax and stretch the lower back.
- Lie on your back with both knees bent.
- Cross your right ankle over your left knee, forming a figure-four shape.
- Reach your hands behind your left thigh and gently pull it towards your chest.
- Hold the stretch for 30 seconds to one minute, then switch sides to stretch the other leg.
- Sit on the edge of a chair with your feet flat on the floor.
- Place your hands behind your head, elbows pointing out to the sides.
- Arch your upper back gently, looking upward and leaning back slightly.
- Hold the stretch for 15 to 30 seconds and repeat two to three times.
Exercising regularly and applying heat to the affected body parts can also help ensure you’re getting the most out of your chiropractic adjustments.
Rest Easy in The Hands of an Experienced Chiropractor and Orthopaedic Specialist
Chiropractic treatment can offer substantial relief to patients experiencing painful disorders or injuries. At Non-Surgical Orthopaedics, P.C., our trained specialists have been assisting Georgia locals with their pain through chiropractic treatment for over 20 years and are ready to do the same for you. Call 770.421.1420 or visit us online to learn more and schedule an appointment with one of our physicians today.