Massage Therapist in Marietta, GA
If you’re still in pain while undergoing prescribed orthopaedic care, a massage therapist may be able to help. Massage therapy involves manipulating the body’s soft tissues to slow down the nervous system and enhance your overall well-being.
What is Neuromuscular (Trigger Point Therapy) Massage?
Neuromuscular massage, or Trigger Point Therapy, is a specialized technique that targets trigger points – hyperirritable spots in the muscles that can inflict pain onto other areas of the body. By applying firm pressure to these points, a trained therapist can release muscle tension and restore proper muscle function.
Which Conditions Does Massage Therapy Help Treat?
- Musculoskeletal Conditions: If you’re suffering from back pain, neck pain, shoulder tension or joint stiffness, massage therapy can prove vital in managing your pain.
- Sports Injuries: Massage therapy – especially neuromuscular massage – is popular with athletes, as it can reduce swelling and alleviate pain, assisting in recovery and prevention of injuries.
- Stress-Related Conditions: Patients being treated for anxiety, depression and insomnia sometimes find additional relief and relaxation through massage therapy.
- Post-Surgery Rehabilitation: If you’re recovering from an operation, massage therapy can be particularly useful, as it can reduce scar tissue formation, improve circulation and relieve muscle tension.
Benefits of Massage Therapy
Stress Reduction and Relaxation
By stimulating the body's parasympathetic nervous system, massage therapy can enhance the body’s release of endorphins and serotonin, helping massage recipients feel better physically and emotionally.
Neuromuscular massage can reduce muscle tension and inflammation, providing immense relief for lower back pain, headaches and chronic muscle pain.
Because massage therapy enhances blood circulation, it can improve the delivery of oxygen and nutrients to various body tissues, aiding in the removal of metabolic waste and toxins from the body.
Enhanced Flexibility and Range of Motion
Massage therapy has the potential to improve joint flexibility and range of motion by reducing muscle stiffness and promoting tissue elasticity, which can be especially valuable for athletes or individuals recovering from injuries.
Boosted Immune System
Because massage therapy can increase the activity of white blood cells, somestudies suggest that it can positively impact the immune system, improving protection against illnesses and infections.
Risks Involved with Massage Therapy
While massage therapy is generally a safe, non-invasive treatment many people utilize, there are a couple of possible risks one should be aware of. In particular, those with blood clotting disorders, osteoporosis or cancer should consult with their physician before booking a massage therapy session to ensure it’s safe with their condition. Additionally, be sure to visit an experienced, properly trained therapist. Inexperienced or unqualified massage therapists may do more harm than good or use massage techniques that can potentially worsen injuries or existing conditions.
Who Is a Good Candidate for Massage Therapy?
Anyone experiencing muscle tension, stiffness or pain due to stress, poor posture, physical activity or medical conditions can benefit from massage therapy. This may include:
- Individuals with Chronic Pain: People suffering from chronic pain, whether it’s fibromyalgia, arthritis or back pain, may find relief through massage therapy.
- Office Workers: Individuals with sedentary jobs may experience tension in the neck, shoulders and lower back that regular massage sessions can counteract.
- Pregnant Women: Prenatal massage can reduce pregnancy-related discomfort – such as back pain and swollen ankles – and help pregnant women relax.
- Older Adults: Massage therapy can be especially beneficial for older adults experiencing age-related stiffness, reduced range of motion or circulation issues, as it can improve flexibility and limit muscle tension.
- Individuals with Sleep Difficulties: Massage therapy can promote relaxation and improve sleep quality.
Get Help Managing Your Pain With Experienced Orthopaedic Therapists
Even if you don’t have any specific health concerns, massage therapy can be an excellent way to unwind, reduce stress and stay healthy, especially when you’re in the hands of a professional. For over 20 years, Non-Surgical Orthopaedics, P.C. has been treating orthopedic issues with non-invasive treatments to help our patients feel better and move freely again. We’ll help manage your current acute or chronic pain and develop a comprehensive treatment plan to reduce or eliminate your pain in the future. Schedule an appointment with us today by calling 770.421.1420 orvisiting us online.